CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AT THE NORCAL VBOC
POSITION: Veteran Support Specialist
Location: Sacramento, California
Hours: Full Time, 12 months/year, Non-Exempt
Salary: $30 to $36 per hour DOE
Project Name: Northern California Veterans Business Outreach Center (NorCal VBOC)
Supervisor: Program Director – NorCal VBOC
This position is a full-time, benefitted position with retirement eligibility after one year. While the continuation of this position(s) is foreseen for years to come, all NorCal VBOC positions are contingent on continued federal funding. This is not a state or federal position.
The NorCal VBOC is hosted by Cal Poly Humboldt’s Sponsored Programs Foundation (HSU-SPF) in Arcata, California.
The program is primarily funded by a cooperative agreement with the Small Business Administration (SBA). NorCal VBOC serves the 48 Northern counties in California, supporting their business and Veteran communities with no-cost training, education, resources, and one-on-one consulting.
The job offers a competitive benefits package including group health, dental, and vision. The schedule is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, in the Sacramento office, with varied schedules/occasional weekend and evening hours.
The Veterans Support Specialist assists with implementing the mission of the NorCal Veteran Business Outreach Center.
The Veterans Support Specialist provides business development services and resources for Clients (active-duty service members, Guard, Reserve, Veterans, and military-connected family members) who want to start or grow a small business. The NorCal VBOC service area includes 48 Counties and 5 Military bases located in Northern California.
Under the general supervision of the Program Director – NorCal VBOC, the Veterans Support Specialist is responsible for conducting client scheduling and supporting the management of VBOC team.
The Veteran Support Specialist will assist clients to better understand the services of the NorCal VBOC counseling and training services. This position will support day-to-day activities of the client support and communicate frequently with the SBA Resource Partners’ staff, and aid in building and implementing online tools and resources for small businesses.
The Veteran Support Specialist will be in direct contact with clients and potential clients seeking NorCal VBOC services. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, resourceful, and have strong interpersonal skills and impeccable communication skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide facilitation and logistical support for SBA’s Boots to Business and Boots to Business/Reboot program in the NorCal VBOC service area.
- Establish and maintain business relationships (internal and external) with Clients, staff, veterans service organizations, business and community members and stakeholders to provide VBOC services and advance the missions of all we serve.
- Assist with planning and organizing staff activities and events to facilitate outreach while ensuring alignment with the NorCal VBOC’s mission and funding requirements.
- Provide information on one-on-one business counseling and training to veteran Clients.
- Maintenance of Client records in Neoserra.
- Assist the Director of the NorCal VBOC with grant management, financial reporting, and program development.
- Work collaboratively with other VBOCs nationwide.
- Support client and customer interactions with the department in person, by phone or electronically, review registrations and provide information regarding other Client resources available; schedule Clients/program participants for counseling appointments, workshops, orientations and special events; answer questions regarding program/department policies, procedures and services, registration information.
- Input data and prepare and process purchase requisitions, purchase orders and check requests; verify the accuracy of receipts and invoices, enter account codes, validate sufficiency of budget and process for payment; purchase supplies and materials and/or authorize expenditures according to established guidelines; prepare and process expense-related forms including travel requests and reimbursements, and expense reports.
- Coordinate full- and part-time staff payroll; process personnel requisitions; collect and audit documentation supporting staff time logs and ensure conformance to work hour restrictions.
- Create, develop, maintain and update specialized and custom forms, databases, logs, files, records and reports to support technical work processes in areas of responsibility; design, develop and maintain spreadsheets and databases requiring data interpretation and manipulation; assist with the tracking and maintenance of federal, state, grantor and district-required data and Client outcomes and prepare for submission or reporting.
- Schedule appointments and make meeting arrangements; assist with the development and coordination of departmental special events; assist with setup and cleanup for various meetings and events; contact vendors for food orders, materials, supplies and audio-visual equipment; handle other meeting and event logistics including soliciting volunteers and coordinating Client workers.
- Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- A military Veteran or have experience working with military personnel in a military environment.
- Prior experience working for a VBOC or other federally-funded small business assistance program.
- BA/BS in Business Administration, Management, a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience working with federal and/or state grants.
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft, or other institutional accounting systems.
- Prior experience working with the small business community, economic development programs, and/or small business ownership.
- Prior experience working with confidential information preferred.
- Experience working with a CRM system such as Neoserra.
- Computer/technology skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, client database software such as Neoserra, and video conferencing software such as Zoom.
- Ability to conduct online research, manage a database, and learn new software applications.
- Willing to travel for events within Northern California.
- Read, comprehend, and interpret written materials of moderate to complex difficulty.
- Ability to learn new, complex topics easily.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and multitasking abilities.
- At least one year of experience working within the small business technical assistance.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings and training sessions at various sites within northern California; strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 20 pounds, vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
Qualified applicants should submit the following items via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover letter
3. Three professional reference contacts
Application Review Date: February 1, 2024
Cal Poly Humboldt Sponsored Programs Foundation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected status. More information about Cal Poly Humboldt SPF’s Equal Employment Opportunity hiring can be found at https://research.humboldt.edu/employment/hiring.
For assistance with the application process, please submit an Accommodation Request Form, which can be found at https://forms.humboldt.edu/spf-accomodation-request-form or contact ADA Coordinator at 707.826.3626 or confidential fax at 707.826.3625. For more information regarding accommodation, you may also visit the Cal Poly Humboldt Human Resources website at https://hraps.humboldt.edu/reasonable-accommodation. Individuals in need of a telecommunications relay service may contact the California Relay Service at 877.735.2929 TTY.