Cal Poly Humboldt
Sponsored Programs Foundation
This is not a state position.
Job Title: Business Consultant/Trainer
Location: Sacramento, CA
Hours: 8 – 19 hours/week
Wages: $50-$70/hour, depending on experience
Project Name: Northern CA Veteran’s Business Outreach Center
Supervisor: NorCal VBOC Program Director
The Northern California Veteran’s Business Outreach Center (NorCal VBOC) provides entrepreneurship and business-related assistance to Veterans, active-duty service members, and Military Connected family members. The program is funded by a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), and through funding from the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz). The NorCal VBOC serves the 48 northern and central counties in California, supporting their business and Veteran communities with no-cost training, education, and one-on-one business consulting. The Sponsored Programs Foundation of Cal Poly Humboldt is the fiscal host to the VBOC, and the employer of record. This is a 12-month hourly position.
The VBOC’s primary mission is to deliver the Small Business Administration’s Boots to Business and Reboot program on 5 military bases in Northern California. Topics covered in the 2-day class include entrepreneurship, market research, small business economics, legal structures, financing, business planning and government contracting. We are seeking an experienced instructor/facilitator with small business experience who is comfortable working in person on military bases. Individuals who are Veterans, military-connected family members, or have experience working with Veterans is preferred. We will provide training on the curriculum. For more information about the VBOC, go to https://norcalvboc.org/
The job includes in-person travel to the region’s designated military bases to offer “Boots to Business” trainings to transitioning servicemembers, as well as offer one-on-one advising and technical support to Veterans. This can include overnight travel. Successful applicants will be generalists or specialists with a background assisting companies in one or more of the following areas: business planning, financial management, access to capital, traditional and digital marketing, restaurants, franchises, manufacturing, sales, etc. These are not full-time positions, are not state or federal positions, and the amount of contract work is variable, dependent upon client flow.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Deliver “Boots to Business” and “Boots to Business: Reboot” trainings to cohorts of transitioning servicemembers and Veterans;
- Counsel Veteran small businesses on various topics in person, over the phone, via email, and using video conferencing software (Zoom);
- Assist clients with navigating required federal, state, and municipal registrations and licensing;
- Assist with and deliver training workshops on various topics;
- Represent the NorCal VBOC at partner events, workshops, conferences;
- Record all interactions with clients in client tracking database;
- Hold routine monthly office hours in various locations throughout the service area;
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Two or more years of experience providing advising, training, or consulting businesses;
- Ability to analyze complex documents and situations and make rational judgements;
- Excellent written, verbal, listening, and interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience working for a VBOC or other federally-funded small business assistance program;
- Prior experience working with veteran and military populations;
- Existing partnerships with Northern California business and minority organizations and/or government agencies;
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university, and two years of experience in small business ownership, economic development programs, or administration of grants
Qualified applicants should submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
1. Cover letter
3. Three professional reference contacts
4. SPF Self-Identification Form
Incomplete application procedures will not be considered.
Application Review Date: September 9th, 2022. Position will be open until filled.
Cal Poly Humboldt Sponsored Programs Foundation is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected status. More information about SPF’s Equal Employment Opportunity hiring can be found here.
For assistance with the application process, please submit an Accommodation Request Form which can be found here, or contact ADA Coordinator at 707.826.3626 or confidential fax at 707.826.3625. For more information regarding accommodation, you may also visit the HSU Human Resources website
at http://www.humboldt.edu/hsuhr. Individuals in need of a telecommunications relay service may contact the California Relay Service at 877.735.2929 TTY.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position within Cal Poly Humboldt SPF. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Cal Poly Humboldt SPF employees who apply for this position.